[OT] Ohmigod. "Costco Begins Test Marketing Caskets" (AP)
CoolHandDuke -- a modern aristides
2004-08-17 21:22:51 UTC
Updated: 03:51 PM EDT
Costco Begins Test Marketing Caskets
By DON BABWIN, AP

CHICAGO (Aug. 17) - Whether you're in the market for a good night's sleep or
the eternal kind, one store at least has you covered.

Costco Wholesale Corp., better known for bulk chicken and cases of soda,
started test marketing caskets alongside mattresses at a North Side Chicago
store Monday. They're also being sold at a suburban Oak Brook store.

''This is certainly something that can be an easy value,'' said Gina Bianche, a
buyer in Costco's corporate office in Issaquah, Wash. ''I don't want to say
cheap value, but it just needs to be done.''

Each of the six models from the Universal Casket Co., in colors including lilac
and Neapolitan blue, is priced at $799.99, made of 18-gauge steel, considered
medium weight for caskets, and can be delivered within 48 hours.

Caskets can already be purchased directly from manufacturers, in funeral supply
stores and over the Internet, but big general merchandise stores had stayed
away from selling caskets until now, said David Walkinshaw, a spokesman for the
National Funeral Directors Association.

At a Costco on Chicago's North Side, shoppers checking out the new casket kiosk
Monday seemed to like the idea that the same store where they buy so many
things for this life was branching into the afterlife.

''A casket at Costco, yeah, I think it's pretty bizarre,'' said Inga Barth, 53.
She wondered about buying a casket with only a kiosk and small samples of the
caskets' material to look over, though, saying, ''When you go casket shopping,
you want to see the whole thing.''

That didn't trouble John Neuhaus.

''I want the adjustable bed and mattress for my neck,'' he joked, pointing to
one of the features highlighted at the kiosk. After all, he said, ''It says
eternal rest.''

Others liked the idea of being able to shop for the casket long before a loved
one's death. Too often, that is a time when the survivors are distressed, under
time constraints and may feel they are at the mercy of funeral homes.

''I remember my mom was supposed to get a plain pine box for my dad and she
walked out with mahogany,'' said Gretchen Henninger.

Those involved in arranging funerals were not as enthusiastic about discount
retailers moving in on their business, especially one with 42 million
cardholders and 324 locations in 36 states.

''If you take the casket out of the equation and the casket is purchased in a
retail environment, then that portion of the funeral director's profit center
will disappear and the funeral director must respond to that,'' said George
Lemke, executive director of the Casket and Funeral Supply Association.

Asked if that meant raising prices, he replied: ''That's entirely possible.''

Costco is prepared for that, said Fred Elsner, general manager of the North
Side store. When casket buyers dial the phone number on the brochure, ''We will
put them in touch with funeral homes that are part of the program,'' he said.

The brochure says buyers can cut their overall funeral costs by more than 30
percent that way. But Lemke said the funeral home working with Costco might not
be the one the family planned to deal with.

While caskets can costs several thousand dollars, some funeral homes do sell
them for even less than Costco is charging, he said.

Walkinshaw, who also works as a funeral director in the Boston area, said he
has caskets ranging from $350 to about $8,000. He also thinks Costco won't cut
into the business of funeral homes.

''Other people have tried and found out the public is real comfortable buying
caskets from funeral directors,'' he said. ''It's kind of one-stop shopping.''

Bonnie Busch, vice president in Costco's Midwest division, hopes shoppers will
make one more stop. ''I hope they don't have any deaths in the family, but if
they do I hope we can help people out,'' she said.

AP-NY-08-17-04 0447EDT

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
To be a political conservative is to be intellectually
constipated and morally myopic.
* http://www.johnkerry.com *
+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
Darrell Mayeda
2004-08-17 21:48:31 UTC
Updated: 03:51 PM EDT Costco Begins Test Marketing Caskets By DON
BABWIN, AP
CHICAGO (Aug. 17) - Whether you're in the market for a good
night's sleep or the eternal kind, one store at least has you
covered.
Costco Wholesale Corp., better known for bulk chicken and cases of
soda, started test marketing caskets alongside mattresses at a
North Side Chicago store Monday. They're also being sold at a
suburban Oak Brook store.
And where are they supposed to store the casket untill it's needed?
Unless you have more people like Abby the lab tech on Navy NCIS,
caskets are kind of a last minute arrangement. you can buy a plan
that pays for the coffin but I think the actuall selection and
delivery is done at the last minute.

Darrell Mayeda
***@hawaii.rr.com

Knight of the ERmoron Round Table.

NOTE: I'm tired of all the spam in my mailbox please leave my
last name in the body of your reply. Thanks
Barrnabas Collins
2004-08-17 22:33:15 UTC
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:48:31 GMT, Darrell Mayeda
Post by Darrell Mayeda
And where are they supposed to store the casket untill it's needed?
Unless you have more people like Abby the lab tech on Navy NCIS,
caskets are kind of a last minute arrangement. you can buy a plan
that pays for the coffin but I think the actuall selection and
delivery is done at the last minute.
In their house. Bear in mind many older houses were
built at a time when one of your relatives died the
wake was held in your living room.
"I spent my whole life sticking it to the man. I
don't think I can be the man."
Sharon too
2004-08-18 01:09:12 UTC
Post by CoolHandDuke -- a modern aristides
Costco Wholesale Corp., better known for bulk chicken and cases of soda,
started test marketing caskets alongside mattresses at a North Side Chicago
store Monday. They're also being sold at a suburban Oak Brook store.
Suppose they double coupons? Should we wait for them to go on sale?

-Sharon
Connemara
2004-08-18 03:59:31 UTC
Post by CoolHandDuke -- a modern aristides
Post by CoolHandDuke -- a modern aristides
Costco Wholesale Corp., better known for bulk chicken and cases of soda,
started test marketing caskets alongside mattresses at a North Side
Chicago
Post by CoolHandDuke -- a modern aristides
store Monday. They're also being sold at a suburban Oak Brook store.
Suppose they double coupons? Should we wait for them to go on sale?
-Sharon
Nah!! Besides, the folks in Oak Brook are too snobby to buy caskets at
Costco! They have to get things at the "high end" places! So, I don't see
them selling well in Oak Brook, maybe in the city of Chicago, but not at Oak
Brook!
Michelle
Sharon too
2004-08-18 05:27:29 UTC
Post by Connemara
Nah!! Besides, the folks in Oak Brook are too snobby to buy caskets at
Costco! They have to get things at the "high end" places! So, I don't see
them selling well in Oak Brook, maybe in the city of Chicago, but not at Oak
Brook!
Can't wait to see the Sunday circulars now. They'll probably sandwich the
casket sale ads inbetween the 2-for-1 pregnancy tests (stock up now) and the
bottles of #1000 quantity natural herbal erection pills.

-Sharon
Connemara
2004-08-18 05:34:31 UTC
Post by Connemara
Brook!
Can't wait to see the Sunday circulars now. They'll probably sandwich the
casket sale ads inbetween the 2-for-1 pregnancy tests (stock up now) and the
bottles of #1000 quantity natural herbal erection pills.
-Sharon
Of course, for the men who with those herbal pills have an erection that
lasts longer than four hours (Love that ad!! Though rare, erections lasting
longer than four hours should seek immediate medical attention........) and
don't seek immediate medical attention -- and the girls -- or their
fathers! --who have a massive coronary when they find out they are pregnant!
Michelle (who probably needs to go to bed.......since I am in a weird
mood.....)
Lori S.
2004-08-21 17:54:20 UTC
Post by Connemara
Of course, for the men who with those herbal pills have an erection that
lasts longer than four hours (Love that ad!! Though rare, erections lasting
longer than four hours should seek immediate medical attention........)
I love that commercial too!!! I'm always like "yeah, medical attention,
right, I'll be screaming WHOO HOO BABY!!!" LOL!!
Ellen K Hursh
2004-08-25 13:55:47 UTC
Post by Lori S.
Post by Connemara
Of course, for the men who with those herbal pills have an erection that
lasts longer than four hours (Love that ad!! Though rare, erections
lasting longer than four hours should seek immediate medical
attention........)
I love that commercial too!!! I'm always like "yeah, medical attention,
right, I'll be screaming WHOO HOO BABY!!!" LOL!!
Is that the one where the guys using the stuff have really big, creepy
fake smiles? (And their wives are also fake-smiling, but they look like
they're thinking "Oh, god, please kill me *now*.")
--
Ellen K Hursh
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean,
and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky's the limit!" -- The Tick
Hunter Rose
2004-08-25 23:54:53 UTC
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:55:47 -0500, Ellen K Hursh
Post by Ellen K Hursh
Post by Lori S.
Post by Connemara
Of course, for the men who with those herbal pills have an
erection that lasts longer than four hours (Love that ad!! Though
rare, erections lasting longer than four hours should seek
immediate medical attention........)
I love that commercial too!!! I'm always like "yeah, medical
attention, right, I'll be screaming WHOO HOO BABY!!!" LOL!!
Is that the one where the guys using the stuff have really big,
creepy fake smiles? (And their wives are also fake-smiling, but they
look like they're thinking "Oh, god, please kill me *now*.")
Those are different products. The one you mention is for
"male enhancement" and the other is for erectile disfunction.

But yes, both sets of ads are creepy in their own way.

HR
Linda Terrell
2004-08-26 15:49:50 UTC
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:55:47 UTC, Ellen K Hursh
Post by Lori S.
Post by Connemara
Of course, for the men who with those herbal pills have an erection that
lasts longer than four hours (Love that ad!! Though rare, erections
lasting longer than four hours should seek immediate medical
attention........)
I love that commercial too!!! I'm always like "yeah, medical attention,
right, I'll be screaming WHOO HOO BABY!!!" LOL!!
You'll be in too much pain.

LT

Ellen K Hursh
2004-08-18 16:11:02 UTC
Post by Connemara
Post by CoolHandDuke -- a modern aristides
Costco Wholesale Corp., better known for bulk chicken and cases of
soda, started test marketing caskets alongside mattresses at a North
Side Chicago store Monday. They're also being sold at a suburban Oak
Brook store.
Nah!! Besides, the folks in Oak Brook are too snobby to buy caskets at
Costco! They have to get things at the "high end" places! So, I don't
see them selling well in Oak Brook, maybe in the city of Chicago, but
not at Oak Brook!
Unless, of course, the idea takes off with teen goths (who just wouldn't
mention, to their fellow creatures of the night, that they got their kewl
casket at Costco).
r***@webtv.net
2004-08-18 16:27:09 UTC
I guess there are no returns allowed on the caskets.........."final
sale"
Connemara
2004-08-18 21:13:53 UTC
Post by r***@webtv.net
I guess there are no returns allowed on the caskets.........."final
sale"
How about selling it on ebay.....??? ;-)
Michelle

Like new....Casket.....Color: Lilac. 18-Gauge Steel. Medium Weight.
Universal Casket Company.

Only used one Sunday by a little old lady from Pasadena......who was then
cremated and put in an urn to be spread along the freeway by someone driving
her car -- that was only driven on Sundays -- and never at a speed above 20
mph!!!!

If you have a family member ready to die -- or one who will be dying soon
(Do you have plans they don't know about?? ;-) ) -- think of what you can
save by getting the casket now!! You will have one less chore to face when
the time comes!! Your family members will thank you! And, you can save
money too!!!

Buy It Now at $649.99 (That's $150 less than if you went to Costco!!)
Must pickup, will NOT ship.

Current BID: $459.75
Auction Closes in 19 hours

Lori S.
2004-08-21 17:57:16 UTC
Shipping would be a killer... hehe...
CoolHandDuke -- a modern aristides
2004-08-21 18:18:52 UTC
Post by Lori S.
Post by Connemara
Post by r***@webtv.net
I guess there are no returns allowed on the caskets.........."final
sale"
How about selling it on ebay.....??? ;-)
Shipping would be a killer... hehe...
Would definitely be a stiff price.

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
Hunter Rose
2004-08-19 02:04:08 UTC
Post by CoolHandDuke -- a modern aristides
Updated: 03:51 PM EDT
Costco Begins Test Marketing Caskets
By DON BABWIN, AP
CHICAGO (Aug. 17) - Whether you're in the market for a good night's
sleep or the eternal kind, one store at least has you covered.
Costco Wholesale Corp., better known for bulk chicken and cases of
soda, started test marketing caskets alongside mattresses at a North
Side Chicago store Monday. They're also being sold at a suburban Oak
Brook store.
I'll repeat the comment I made when a friend posted this on a
local board we have:

After seeing "Penn & Teller: Bullsh*t!"s episode on "Death"
(and their description of decomposition) I think I'd rather be
cremated...

HR