Romano's arm
diesel_exhaust
2003-10-10 02:58:21 UTC
I haven't watched ER for a while now. When I watched it this evening
(Oct. 9), I saw that Dr. Romano had lost his arm and is now fitted
with a prosthesis. Could anyone please fill me in on what happened to
it? It came as quite a shock.

Thanks in advance,
S. Knight
***@yahoo.com
Sharon too
2003-10-10 03:06:45 UTC
Post by diesel_exhaust
I saw that Dr. Romano had lost his arm and is now fitted
with a prosthesis. Could anyone please fill me in on what happened to
it? It came as quite a shock.
Hospital roof. Medical transport helicoptor. Tail rotor....

Here's the summary:

http://www.digiserve.com/er/episodes/season9/er901s-r.html

-Sharon
Cory
2003-10-10 03:51:46 UTC
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 23:06:45 -0400, Sharon too said...
Post by Sharon too
Post by diesel_exhaust
I saw that Dr. Romano had lost his arm and is now fitted
with a prosthesis. Could anyone please fill me in on what happened to
it? It came as quite a shock.
Hospital roof. Medical transport helicoptor. Tail rotor....
Bye-bye arm.

I have to say that the CGI is *great* WRT Romano's arm, or lack thereof.

--- Cory
--
"You did enough." --- Dr. John Carter "The Letter" (ER)

My e-mail address shouldn't have my first name in it.
Sharon too
2003-10-10 04:03:27 UTC
Post by Cory
I have to say that the CGI is *great* WRT Romano's arm, or lack thereof.
They've got to do better with his stump, though. Looks like silly putty.

-Sharon
Cory
2003-10-10 04:02:18 UTC
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:03:27 -0400, Sharon too said...
Post by Sharon too
Post by Cory
I have to say that the CGI is *great* WRT Romano's arm, or lack thereof.
They've got to do better with his stump, though. Looks like silly putty.
-Sharon
I respectfully disagree. I think it looks great, considering it's not
really there.

--- Cory
My e-mail address shouldn't have my first name in it.
Sharon too
2003-10-10 04:16:29 UTC
Post by Cory
I respectfully disagree. I think it looks great, considering it's not
really there.
Well, at least you're respectful. ;-)

But it still looks like silly putty. I've seen stump. Stump never looks that
good especially just a few months post op.

-Sharon
Brittanys5Ss
2003-10-10 05:39:20 UTC
Post by Sharon too
But it still looks like silly putty. I've seen stump. Stump never looks that
good especially just a few months post op.
I thought it looked so real, in fact was questioning if he had really lost his
arm.
Sharon too
2003-10-10 05:46:15 UTC
Post by Brittanys5Ss
I thought it looked so real, in fact was questioning if he had really lost his
arm.
I'm not knocking the actual graphics of the lost arm. That's cool! But the
skin part is wayyyyy too healed for being something that was just surgically
altered after having decayed. Stumps like that take up to a year to heal
enough to look like smooth single toned skin.

-Sharon

-Sharon
Kaiju
2003-10-10 08:57:47 UTC
Post by Sharon too
Post by Cory
I respectfully disagree. I think it looks great, considering it's not
really there.
Well, at least you're respectful. ;-)
But it still looks like silly putty. I've seen stump. Stump never looks that
good especially just a few months post op.
-Sharon
Stump or not...I have to agree with Romano. Why on earth was he saddled
with a hook when he lost his arm on duty PLUS he was chief of staff?
They couldn't do better by him?

Kaiju
--
No more fiendish punishment could be devised,
were such a thing physically possible,

-- William James
Cory
2003-10-10 11:03:38 UTC
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:57:47 GMT, Kaiju said...
Post by Kaiju
Stump or not...I have to agree with Romano. Why on earth was he saddled
with a hook when he lost his arm on duty PLUS he was chief of staff?
They couldn't do better by him?
Kaiju
It's a county hospital. I think a hook is par for the course when you're
talking about a government run institution.

--- Cory
--
Hell hath frozen over...

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/toons/heller/heller1.asp

My e-mail address does not have my first name in it.
Sharon too
2003-10-10 12:57:08 UTC
Post by Cory
It's a county hospital. I think a hook is par for the course when you're
talking about a government run institution.
But he's claiming that it's a Workman's Comp paid prosthetic. Comp is not
something that you get for your business based on how valuable your business
is. Business X doesn't get better coverage than Business Y. At least in our
state. It is a state mandated program that relieves the employer from any
thought of lawsuit by an employee in regards to a work related industry.
However, that shouldn't stop Romano from suing the manufacturer of the
helicopter.

Here in NYS each part of the body is given a daily value (I kid you not).
For instance (I'm pulling estimated numbers here), an arm is paid out 175
days, a leg 225 days, eyes 85 days and so forth. The spine gets nothing.
Once back on the job in full capacity, the injured gets 175 days times the
amount paid out to the injured which is maybe 2/3 of weekly salary maxed in
our state at $400 a week plus or minus some more math depending on how many
days they have already had off the job. Not sure Comp pays for prosthetics
outright. Never had to look into that. But my guess is that if they did they
would pay for the least expensive.

-Sharon
Rap
2003-10-10 13:10:19 UTC
Post by Kaiju
Stump or not...I have to agree with Romano. Why on earth was he saddled
with a hook when he lost his arm on duty PLUS he was chief of staff?
They couldn't do better by him?
If I followed correctly, and I may not have, the reasoning is that he does
not need a super fancy arm to do his job since he is now an administrator
and not a surgeon. The super fancy arm isn't going to make him a surgeon
again and may not significantly add to his ease in the ER so they can't
justify the expense for what seemed to be more of a cosmetic issue.
Senator Palpatine
2003-10-10 18:00:58 UTC
Rap
2003-10-10 18:11:54 UTC
And romano wasn't trying to accomplish the same thing with his little fit?
:)
Post by Senator Palpatine
yeah and if that bitch weaver lost her arm you know damn well she
would make sure to have the best that money could buy.
Gina *
2003-10-10 18:34:42 UTC
Stump or not...I have to agree with Romano. >>Why on earth was he
saddled with a hook >>when he lost his arm on duty PLUS he was >>chief
of staff? They couldn't do better by >>him?
.
.
The USDOL has all sorts of worker protection regs which must be met
anywhere in the US. Romano did not seek proper representation. Time was
I fractured my pelvis on the job, in an elevator mishap. I did seek
counsel, and got a fair settement. Romano seems not to have done that.
He writes a letter complaining, the prosthetist writes, and the result
is nada. To me, an adult as savvy as Romano is would seek legal help.
I'm surprised to see that character writte as such a ninny.

~~~Gina~~~
Darrell Mayeda
2003-10-11 10:20:20 UTC
Post by Gina *
The USDOL has all sorts of worker protection regs which must be met
anywhere in the US. Romano did not seek proper representation. Time was
I fractured my pelvis on the job, in an elevator mishap. I did seek
counsel, and got a fair settement. Romano seems not to have done that.
He writes a letter complaining, the prosthetist writes,
actually nowadays with computers he wouldn't even write. he could
"two finger" a letter complaining about the prosthetist and then
manually sign. especially if it's big and third grader style.

and the result
Post by Gina *
is nada. To me, an adult as savvy as Romano is would seek legal help.
I'm surprised to see that character writte as such a ninny.
~~~Gina~~~
Huh??

Darrell Mayeda
***@hawaii.rr.com

Knight of the ERmoron Round Table.

NOTE: I'm tired of all the spam in my mailbox please leave my
last name in the body of your reply. Thanks
Ellen K Hursh
2003-10-11 15:08:51 UTC
Post by Darrell Mayeda
Post by Gina *
The USDOL has all sorts of worker protection regs which must be met
anywhere in the US. Romano did not seek proper representation. Time was
I fractured my pelvis on the job, in an elevator mishap. I did seek
counsel, and got a fair settement. Romano seems not to have done that.
He writes a letter complaining, the prosthetist writes,
actually nowadays with computers he wouldn't even write. he could
"two finger" a letter complaining about the prosthetist and then
manually sign. especially if it's big and third grader style.
He has no physical problem with manually signing a letter... he *said*
that he's right-handed. And he would be complaining about the prosthetic,
not the prosthetist.
Darrell Mayeda

Hunter Rose
2003-10-14 03:17:16 UTC
Post by Gina *
To me, an adult as savvy as Romano is would seek legal help.
I'm surprised to see that character writte as such a ninny.
Why? They wrote Benton as just as much a ninny when he was
illegally fired and even more illegally blacklisted. This is business
as ususal for TPTB.

HR

Elizabeth, let me console you...
Sharon too
2003-10-14 13:03:15 UTC
Post by Hunter Rose
Post by Gina *
To me, an adult as savvy as Romano is would seek legal help.
I'm surprised to see that character writte as such a ninny.
Why? They wrote Benton as just as much a ninny when he was
illegally fired and even more illegally blacklisted. This is business
as ususal for TPTB.
But this was a workplace injury. Workmans compensation protects the employer
from being sued. Romano *might* be able to sue the manufacturer of the
helicopter but that suit would be years in the making.

-Sharon
Gina *
2003-10-15 23:06:00 UTC
But this was a workplace injury. Workmans >>compensation protects the
employer from >>being sued. Romano *might* be able to sue >>the
manufacturer of the helicopter but that >>suit would be years in the
making.
-Sharon .
.
I o have only a vague recollection of workers' comp regs, but I do know
a friend in USDOL told me to consider obtaining counsel in order to deal
with the hospital's insurer, the mechanics who had been servicing the
elevator, even the OSHA inspectors who had been inspecting the elevator
in previous accidents. Th fact is, the person who has lawyered up is
treated with more respect than the people who is some naive bumpkin.
Not knowing the laws of Hollyweird, Romano had options . The pilot, the
employer of the pilot could face civil action. The insurer could be
pushed to provide a better prosthesis. In the words of Johnny Cochran,
"Just because they haven't covered something before doesn't mean we
can't get them to cover it now."

~~~Gina~~~
Sharon too
2003-10-15 23:22:46 UTC
Post by Gina *
I o have only a vague recollection of workers' comp regs, but I do know
a friend in USDOL told me to consider obtaining counsel in order to deal
with the hospital's insurer, the mechanics ...
Wierd, I covered WC in staff meeting today! Actually, if a WC has to be made
it wouldn't be bad to obtain council to get all that is due the injured
employee. But once aggresive legal is involved the medical services could be
put on hold for years until all is resolved. Since the medical treatment and
rehab is necessary NOW, I would go through the normal routes for WC.
However, Romano would have definitely been smart to sue other outside
factors such as helicopter, elevator etc...

-Sharon
Darrell Mayeda
2003-10-19 10:11:27 UTC
Post by Sharon too
Post by Gina *
I o have only a vague recollection of workers' comp regs, but I do know
a friend in USDOL told me to consider obtaining counsel in order to deal
with the hospital's insurer, the mechanics ...
Wierd, I covered WC in staff meeting today! Actually, if a WC has to be made
it wouldn't be bad to obtain council to get all that is due the injured
employee. But once aggresive legal is involved the medical services could be
put on hold for years until all is resolved. Since the medical treatment and
rehab is necessary NOW, I would go through the normal routes for WC.
However, Romano would have definitely been smart to sue other outside
factors such as helicopter, elevator etc...
-Sharon
elevator? what happened in the elevator?

DLCandC
2003-10-19 18:25:55 UTC
Post by Darrell Mayeda
Post by Sharon too
Post by Gina *
I o have only a vague recollection of workers' comp regs, but I do know
a friend in USDOL told me to consider obtaining counsel in order to deal
with the hospital's insurer, the mechanics ...
Wierd, I covered WC in staff meeting today! Actually, if a WC has to be made
it wouldn't be bad to obtain council to get all that is due the injured
employee. But once aggresive legal is involved the medical services could be
put on hold for years until all is resolved. Since the medical treatment and
rehab is necessary NOW, I would go through the normal routes for WC.
However, Romano would have definitely been smart to sue other outside
factors such as helicopter, elevator etc...
-Sharon
elevator? what happened in the elevator?
Post by Darrell Mayeda
Darrell Mayeda
Knight of the ERmoron Round Table.
NOTE: I'm tired of all the spam in my mailbox please leave my
last name in the body of your reply. Thanks
I think that she is just using that as an example.

Lori
--
"A man who has nothing for which he is willing
to stand up and fight, nothing he cares more

Darren Thornton
2003-10-11 04:40:20 UTC
Here's a mean thought. With this hook,will he get a pirate outfit
for the Halloween episode? I'd hate to think what he'd train the parrot
to do-or say. If he sues the hospital, maybe he'll force Kerry to share
the nature of her handicap.

Sincerely,
Darren Thornton
Darrell Mayeda
2003-10-11 10:21:51 UTC
Post by Darren Thornton
Here's a mean thought. With this hook,will he get a pirate outfit
for the Halloween episode? I'd hate to think what he'd train the parrot
to do-or say. If he sues the hospital, maybe he'll force Kerry to share
the nature of her handicap.
Sincerely,
Darren Thornton
It would probably be a fake bird. Kerry's handicap is obvious. the
CAUSE of the handicap has been the subject of a LOT of speculation.

Naomi Pardue
2003-10-11 16:15:32 UTC
Post by Rap
If I followed correctly, and I may not have, the reasoning is that he does
not need a super fancy arm to do his job since he is now an administrator
and not a surgeon
BTW, IRL, wouldn't he have received some physical therapy to teach him how to
use his prosthetic arm before just turning him loose in the ER (or in Kerry's
office, for that matter?) with it?

Naomi
Darrell Mayeda
2003-10-12 08:25:20 UTC
Post by Naomi Pardue
Post by Rap
If I followed correctly, and I may not have, the reasoning is that he does
not need a super fancy arm to do his job since he is now an administrator
and not a surgeon
BTW, IRL, wouldn't he have received some physical therapy to teach him how to
use his prosthetic arm before just turning him loose in the ER (or in Kerry's
office, for that matter?) with it?
Naomi
He had his heart set on the other arm and pitched a first class fit
when he didn't get it. I think training in this case is irrelevant.
his trainer probably didn't have the required concrete filled
baseball bat to get his attention.

Gina *
2003-10-15 22:49:36 UTC
BTW, IRL, wouldn't he have received some >>physical therapy to teach
him how to use his >>prosthetic arm before just turning him loose >>in
the ER (or in Kerry's office, for that >>matter?) with it?
Naomi .
.
Yep, Naomi, IRL he'd have gotten training from the prosthetist and an
occupational therapist. And probably, in the first place, a traumatic
amputation patient would have spent time in a rehab facility where both
the reattached arm and his PTSD would have been addressed. However,
County General is located in Hollyweird.

~~~Gina~~~
Lesa
2003-10-16 11:34:44 UTC
Post by Gina *
BTW, IRL, wouldn't he have received some >>physical therapy to teach
him how to use his >>prosthetic arm before just turning him loose >>in
the ER (or in Kerry's office, for that >>matter?) with it?
Naomi .
.
Yep, Naomi, IRL he'd have gotten training from the prosthetist and an
occupational therapist. And probably, in the first place, a traumatic
amputation patient would have spent time in a rehab facility where both
the reattached arm and his PTSD would have been addressed. However,
County General is located in Hollyweird.
~~~Gina~~~
IRL the patient would also have to participate willingly in these programs.
I can see an individual such as Romano telling them to stuff their programs
(or other more colorful wording) and never show up for an appointment.
Cory
2003-10-10 11:00:57 UTC
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:16:29 -0400, Sharon too said...
Post by Sharon too
Post by Cory
I respectfully disagree. I think it looks great, considering it's not
really there.
Well, at least you're respectful. ;-)
I try.
Post by Sharon too
But it still looks like silly putty. I've seen stump. Stump never looks that
good especially just a few months post op.
OK... I get what you're saying now. Point taken.
Post by Sharon too
-Sharon
--- Cory

MUSiCiSAPASSi0N
2003-10-13 22:53:56 UTC
Post by Cory
I respectfully disagree. I think it looks great, considering it's not
really there.
I totally agree. It was amazing!

xo; Jess
Michael D. Halbrook
2003-10-11 03:58:29 UTC
Post by Cory
Bye-bye arm.
I have to say that the CGI is *great* WRT Romano's arm, or lack thereof.
Much better than the loss of it. That scene was pitiful. Like the plane
crash at the end of Air Force 1. Too fake looking
lar

S. Knight
Cory
2003-10-11 04:49:56 UTC
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:17:55 -0400, lar said...
Post by lar
He fell into the rotor blades of a medevac helicopter, had the arm
reattached, but that failed,
Uh, not quite. The reattachment itself didn't fail. One of the reasons
he had to have it amputated after all was because his arm caught fire on
the kitchen stove, and it was burned pretty badly, thus impeding his
recovery even more.
Sharon too
2003-10-11 05:05:45 UTC
Post by Cory
Uh, not quite. The reattachment itself didn't fail. One of the reasons
he had to have it amputated after all was because his arm caught fire on
the kitchen stove, and it was burned pretty badly, thus impeding his
recovery even more.
Technically, the reattachment did fail. He was not getting any improvement
per the physical therapist and, IIRC, even his doctor reminded Romano that
the reattachment surgery wasn't a guarantee. The reason he burned his arm in
the first place is because he had no sensation and didn't feel the heat.

-Sharon
Cory
2003-10-11 06:04:54 UTC
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:05:45 -0400, Sharon too said...
Post by Sharon too
Post by Cory
Uh, not quite. The reattachment itself didn't fail. One of the reasons
he had to have it amputated after all was because his arm caught fire on
the kitchen stove, and it was burned pretty badly, thus impeding his
recovery even more.
Technically, the reattachment did fail.
He was not getting any improvement per the physical therapist and, IIRC, even
his doctor reminded Romano that the reattachment surgery wasn't a guarantee.
The reason he burned his arm in the first place is because he had no sensation
and didn't feel the heat.
True, but at the same time, is there a "time limit" after reattachment
surgery where you "draw the line", so to speak, and say that that's all
the functionality you're going to get? Even if there IS such a "time
limit", I'm not completely convinced Romano had reached it yet.

I still get what you're saying, though, FTR.
Post by Sharon too
-Sharon

Ellen K Hursh
2003-10-11 14:53:16 UTC
Post by lar
He fell into the rotor blades of a medevac helicopter, had the arm
reattached, but that failed,
Uh, not quite. The reattachment itself didn't fail. One of the reasons
he had to have it amputated after all was because his arm caught fire on
the kitchen stove, and it was burned pretty badly, thus impeding his
recovery even more.
But even before his arm became all crispyized, there were indications that
the reattachment wasn't working. Like, say, not being aware that his arm
had become caught in that gurney, and then the wound becoming... I believe
the technical term is "icky"? :-)
Darrell Mayeda
2003-10-11 10:26:35 UTC
Post by lar
He fell into the rotor blades of a medevac helicopter, had the arm
reattached, but that failed, and is now having the prosthesis problem.
LAR
He didn't FALL into the rotor blades. that is kinda hard to do.
Romano was distracted and went to pick up a clipboard.
unfortunately, while standing up, he hit the TAIL ROTOR which was
turning and severed his arm. the hospital was under quarentine at
the time and the reimplantation had to threaten their way into the
hospital to reattatch Romano's arm. Unfortunately his nerves failed
to regenerate properly.

Wayne Rasmussen
2003-10-12 04:25:50 UTC
Post by diesel_exhaust
I haven't watched ER for a while now. When I watched it this evening
(Oct. 9), I saw that Dr. Romano had lost his arm and is now fitted
with a prosthesis. Could anyone please fill me in on what happened to
it? It came as quite a shock.
Count Dooku cut it off. Later he loses his left leg and gets tossed into
molten lava which forces him to wear a black suit which acts as an iron
lung. Eventually he kills Kerry and balance is restored to the show.
H***@earthlink.net
2003-10-12 05:14:04 UTC
On 12 Oct 2003 04:25:50 GMT, Wayne Rasmussen
Post by Wayne Rasmussen
Post by diesel_exhaust
I haven't watched ER for a while now. When I watched it this evening
(Oct. 9), I saw that Dr. Romano had lost his arm and is now fitted
with a prosthesis. Could anyone please fill me in on what happened to
it? It came as quite a shock.
Count Dooku cut it off. Later he loses his left leg and gets tossed into
molten lava which forces him to wear a black suit which acts as an iron
lung. Eventually he kills Kerry and balance is restored to the show.
He temporarily lost his arm, but will regenerate it as soon as he
finds someone with cancer and a large tub of iodine.

(anyone?)

Faith
AKA ClaySkye
AKA #4
Psycho Tangerine

Eileen (Psycho Tangerine)
H***@earthlink.net
2003-10-13 02:00:38 UTC
Post by Wayne Rasmussen
Post by diesel_exhaust
I haven't watched ER for a while now. When I watched it this evening
(Oct. 9), I saw that Dr. Romano had lost his arm and is now fitted
with a prosthesis. Could anyone please fill me in on what happened to
it? It came as quite a shock.
Count Dooku cut it off. Later he loses his left leg and gets tossed into
molten lava which forces him to wear a black suit which acts as an iron
lung. Eventually he kills Kerry and balance is restored to the show.
He temporarily lost his arm, but will regenerate it as soon as he
finds someone with cancer and a large tub of iodine.
(anyone?)
X-Files?
Eileen (Psycho Tangerine)
One really great episode.